How to: Find Your Toyota Truck’s Towing Capacity by VIN Number
If you own a Toyota truck or SUV, at some point you may want to know what your Toyota Truck’s Towing Capacity is.
We have provided some baseline stats, but if you want to know even more about your particular Toyota vehicle you can do a vehicle Vin Number lookup (More on that later).
Towing Capacity For Your Toyota Truck
There are a few towing capacity terms you might want to familiarize yourself with before setting out on a towing adventure.
- Tongue Weight: A vehicle’s tongue weight is described as the downward force applied to a hitch by the tongue of a trailer. It’s important to know since tongue weight can effect a vehicles driving performance. If the tongue weight is too high, you truck will sit low and if it’s not light it light it can lift the back of your truck. A good rule of thumb is to have a tongue weight of around 9-15% of your trailer’s gross weight.
- Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR): Is the maximum weight that can be applied to front or rear axles. Toyota truck axles have specific GAWRs specifications.
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) or gross vehicle mass (GVM): Is the maximum weight of a loaded vehicle (vehicle + passengers + cargo). The GVWR is specifically provided by Toyota for their trucks.
- Gross Trailer Weight (GTW): Is the maximum weight of a loaded trailer (trailer + cargo). Using a Truck/Car scale is the easiest way to determine weight.
- Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR): This measurement is a combination of Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) + Gross Trailer Weight (GTW).
Toyota Towing Capacities:
- 4Runner: The 2019 4Runner has a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. and is SAE J2807 compliant. The 4Runner has a GVWR of 6,300 lbs and comes with an integrated towing hitch receiver and wiring harness with 4- and 7-pin connectors.
- Highlander: The 2019 Highlander has a towing capacity of 1,500 – 5,000 lbs. depending on trim level. See the table below for a full list of trim levels and their corresponding towing capacities.
- Land Cruiser: With a GVWR of 7,385 lbs., the 2019 Land Cruiser has a towing capacity of 8,100 lbs. and comes with an integrated towing hitch receiver and wiring harness with 4-/7-pin connectors.
- RAV4: With many trim level options available, the 2019 RAV4 can haul up to 1,500 lbs and has a GVWR of 4,525 lbs.
- Sequoia: The rugged 2019 Sequoia has a GCWR of 13,600 lbs. and can tow between 7,100 – 7,400 lbs depending on trim level. See the table below for a full list of trim levels.
Toyota Towing Capacity Table
|Year||Model||Max Towing Capacity (lbs)|
|2019–>||4Runner||• 5000 lbs|
|2019||Highlander||• 1,500 to 5,000 lbs|
|2019||Land Cruiser||• 8,100 lbs|
|2019||RAV4||• 1,500 lbs|
|2019||Sienna||• 7,100 – 7,400 lbs|
Find Toyota Truck’s Towing Capacity by VIN Number
Toyota’s website provides Toyota truck and SUV owners a way get information on their vehicles by using the VIN number.
Entering your VIN in the Toyota Owners vehicle specification page will bring up lots of information on your Toyota truck or SUV. This includes towing information such as Gross Axle Weight Rating (GCWR) and Max Towing Capacity numbers.